NOTE: This example uses the file “hosts” as an example but other files can also be modified using this technique.
If at some point you need to modify your hosts file in Windows 7, you’ll most likely have to change your access rights to that specific file.
Please note that you have to have administrator privileges to make the following changes.
- In Explorer, go to the file you wish to Edit. In this case “c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”
- Right-click on that file and select “Properties”
- Select the “Security” tab
- Select your Users.
- Click on “Edit”
- Click on your username again and modify the permissions as you wish. In most cases, you can give yourself “Full Control”
Here are the Steps for Editing/Modifying/Saving Windows 7 Hosts File
1. Windows 7 Hosts File is located in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (Assuming C Drive is your Operating System Drive). Copy this location:
3. Now Right Click on Notepad and Select Run as Administrator:
4. Click Open… (CTRL + O) in Notepad and Paste the Hosts File Address in it >> Press Enter and Select All Files from the Drop Down Menu:
Notepad in Administrator Mode can Save the changes you made in Windows Hosts File. You may not be able to Save Windows Hosts File, if you run Notepad in default mode.